This week’s guest blog has been created by Kenny Fraser of Sunstone Communications. Kenny is a Non Executive Director, board level advisor and mentor with over 20 years experience in mobile and digital. He helps startups and established business take advantage of mobile and digital technologies.
5 reasons going mobile will improve your business
Mobile has rapidly become the dominant technology in the modern world. Smartphones and tablets have rapidly overtaken PCs as the most popular computing devices. More people access the Internet over a mobile device now than through traditional means and those people are spread wider and deeper around the world. There are now more mobile devices than people in the world – 7.7 billion compared to a global population of 7.1 billion according to the GSMA.
These huge global changes are also personal. It is easy to see that smart devices have changed our lives but why should you change your business to follow this trend?
1. Mobile brings you closer to your market and it extends your market reach. The billions in Africa and Asia with cheap smartphones can now be reached from Dundee or Dorset. Those people who access the Internet with their tablet also buy goods and services that way. 78% of the US population shop by mobile (comScore) and 36% of UK online purchases are now mobile (IMRG).
2. Its not just your customers who have gone mobile. Your employees love these devices as well. Increasingly mobile software can help your team work better and work differently. Your business will be more productive and your staff will be happier if you go mobile.
3. Mobile is the on ramp for a whole bunch of new technologies and trends. The cloud, the Internet of things, bring your own device (BYOD), lean management techniques and many more are all enabled or enhanced by access through smartphones and tablets.
4. The combination of mobile and cloud services has created new business models such as eCommerce and SaaS (software as a service). This means you can access better technology more cheaply and flexibly than ever before. It is also an opportunity for you to adopt some of these practices and grow your business.
5. Don’t be too late. The world is going mobile. New start ups are emerging every day. Technology giants like Google and Amazon are entering new markets. Established businesses in every industry are adopting new technology. Even McDonalds recently announced it is going digital. Embrace mobile or risk major disruption to your existing business.
Start ups and entrepreneurs are leveraging mobile to create dynamism, wealth and employment across the world. Companies, governments and social enterprises are using mobile to capture the benefits of innovation and support business improvements. Better communications and an ecosystem of new ideas in health, finance, agriculture and democracy are improving the lives of many millions of people in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Sunstone Communication and Waracle are helping business harness mobile for growth, innovation and change. If you would like to embrace the opportunity for your business please get in touch. We would love to hear from you.